Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Of zombie sheep and concussed pigs.

I had a moment the other day at work. Of terrifying shock. The drunk sheep that we had in were having surgery. And one of the poor buggers died on the table :(

So we had him in the fridge waiting for the body man to collect him. I’d completely forgotten about him when I went to go in the next day to throw something in the fridged bin. As I opened the door and walked into the dark coolroom, all I could see was these black legs extending out of the gloom. I glanced over and all I could see was this dead sheep, head back, stretched out with about a 5″ hole in the side of its chest, with its heart half hanging out, leads all over its chest and legs.

I nearly shat myself. You know in those zombie/vampire/slasher flicks where the chick gets the crap scared out of her by something creepy, but trivial, and then gets killed? That’s what it felt like. The first thing I did was turn around and yell at my supervisor.

****

So I was walking through one of the areas where we have a few pigs in. The radio was on and I was singing. Now, I’m so not Oz Idol material, I know that, but if the music is loud enough I just figure that it will drown it out. Apparently I’m very wrong about that.

As I was walking up, one of the pigs spooked, and ran around his pen for a bit. I walked over to his pen to calm him down.

Well he totally flipped. He spun around and ran outside so fast that smacked himself into the steel door on the way out! I had to go in to see how he was doing. As I walked in he froze at the far end of the outside bit. I crouched down and spoke quietly to him until he began to approach me. All of a sudden it was like he went ‘oh, its you!’ He cruised over and began to chew on my overalls like nothing had happened.

Working with animals is never boring.

---Comments---
  1. Do you really think the pig was freaking out because of your singing? That’s funny…


  2. Okay, that pig was totally being a pot calling the kettle “dirty bottom” I mean, Pigs can’t sing for shit either… I should know, I’ve seen Babe… twice!

    As for zombie sheep… Blerk - creepy. I don’t think its ever a good idea to see the insides of something (living or dead) from the outside. I would have yelped too!


  3. Why was the sheep drunk…
  4. Maybe he could smell the death… or maybe it’s cos of the full moon!!

    Sorry you got freaked out.

    That would scare the heebie jeebies outa me too.


  5. I hang out with pigs where I work too. Ha! *ahem*
  6. This is why I like working with teenagers… some similarities, though…
  7. Perhaps I’m weird, but I much prefer being around lambs than sheep (alive or dead) and piglets to pigs.
  8. I don’t know what would be creepier, a zombie sheep or a zombie pig. I can deal better with the undead when they’re docile and wooly. A pig is already close to the undead anyway, since they’re not terribly picky when it comes to what they eat. I’m sure a pig would eat one’s brains if given a chance.
  9. Sounds like a traumatic job.

No comments: