Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blessed

The GalPal is in hospital. She's been in for a week or so. Its quite serious but so far she's been ok.

I went in to visit her today and as I wandered in there was someone already waiting to be buzzed in. GalPal is in intensive care neuro ward. I got talking to the girl at the door for a few minutes and we got buzzed in.

As I was leaving later on, the same girl was behind me walking out. I started a conversation with her as she waited for the elevator. I asked who she was visiting and she said her grandma. But the way she it, well, it made the alarm bells go off that she wasn't ok. I asked how she was and the girl said her grandma had passed away about 15 minutes ago.

So I gave her a hug. It was an automatic reflex. This complete stranger. I don't even know her name. But we hugged like we'd known each other for years.

As we parted I said it was nice that she was there. She told me that all the family was there and I said that was even better.

Wherever this girl is tonight, my heart goes out to her. I am blessed to have all the family members and friends still here that were here this morning, that were here yesterday and the day before.

And I hope that she and her family are coping as best they can.

11 comments:

MissE said...

I will keep GalPal in my thoughts and prayers, Phishez. I hope she gets out of hospital hale and hearty soon.

Of course you hugged the girl - you're a big hearted person, and insightful.

Having family and friends near is something I love - even if at the moment it is more of the former than the latter.

Ms Smack said...

Aw, you're an absolute doll. Not everyone would think to even say hi, offer a few words but you went so far as to offer her human affection.

Truly Phish, that's beautiful.

I hope your galpal gets better soon.

OneHungMan said...

Sweet story Phishez.

Steph said...

You're a sweetheart. I hope your friend is better soon.

kimba said...

Lovely human story Phish.. thanks for sharing it.

phishez said...

MissE - having anybody near is beautiful.

Smack - yeah, I'm such a freak for it too!

OneHung - thanks.

Steph - she should be ok. Went in for surgery gain today, so I didn't drop in to see her.

Kimba - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cazzie!!! said...

That is one of the places I work most of late, and yes, having family there and good friends like yourself is a wonderful thing. Loosing someone is just so difficult, being on the neuro ward is hard, the person just does not look the same whilst they are in that bed..and when we see them all healed later on it surely is marvellous.

Anonymous said...

You are a very kind person -an may I say very sexy from your last pic. I hope your friend is better soon and kind strangers hug you a lot....

Crushed said...

That is how people should be.

It's a shame so many are conditioned noy to be.

You will have helped lighten her burden and just made the world that little bit nicer.

Greyhound Girl said...

You're a good person...

colonel eggroll said...

I wish there were more people in the world like you phish! Hope your friend feels better soon.