Thursday, November 16, 2006

numb is good

So I went to the dentist today. Rang up this morning and got slotted in this afternoon. Very lucky, I suppose.

Got in there. Sat in the dreaded chair and had the blinding hot light flashed straight into my eyes. Ahhh. Some things never change. The guy hasn't even poked my mouth and I'm terrified. I tell him what the probelm was and he glances at the tooth. Immediately he orders it to be x rayed. He's not even going to examine it. No need to tap or scratch it with the sharp pointy thing.

While the x ray is being developed he comes back and gives me a shot of local.

The x ray reveals that the tooth is absolutely stuffed. From the outside it appears to be fine. One black dot and a teensy bit of lightening on the top. To keep it would cost $1500 minimum. I'm not in a health fund. So the only option is to take it the fuck out. Its at this stage that I was glad I'd nicked into the bathroom and done business in there, cuz I'd be pissing myself by now otherwise.

He asks how numb my mouth is. I tell him its comfortably numb, but I wouldn't object to a bit more local. He obliges. It seems theres a bit of trepidation in regards to pulling my teeth. You see, I have an excellent bone structure. Nice thick, well developed bones. Including my jaw. And the roots of my teeth - lovely and thick. Those babies are never falling out. Not even with help.

He loosens it. I'm loving that local by now. Grabs it with the pliers. And the tooth shatters. Here I am trying to breathe and tooth chips come flying around my mouth. Then comes the drill. Not sure what that was for. Not game to ask. I stare off over his shoulder, whishing I was somewhere else, and thinking that there are better things to be doing with my mouth stretched wide open for so long.

With a crunching sound I feel it come out. Huzzah! But I celebrate too soon. Its only half, and the other one is just as stubborn as the first.

Two stitches and $150 later I'm back on the street. Wondering if he wiped all of the blood off my face, and if I'm going to be making small children cry just by smiling at them.

I am thoroughly sick of having a numb face. I'm sick of drooling red crap every time I change the gauze in my mouth. I bleed too. The bleeding was supposed to stop after an hour and a half. Its been two hours. Its definitely slowed. But no where near stopped.

****************************************************
This led me to think. While I've been down in Sydney I've been conciously assessing guys by thier genetics. I put this down to the fact that the future husband can't have kids. He has told me that whoever he marries will have to get pregnant to someone else for him to have a family. I know I have poorly designed teeth. They are prone to all kinds of dental badness. While I've been looking for guys to compliment my own genes, I do want to improve the teeth for my future generations.

Did I say I was sick of having a numb face? The anaesthetic is starting to wear off. I want the numb back.

4 comments:

mist1 said...

I almost couldn't finish reading this. My teeth hurt now.

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for you. Always hard to eat and drink with a numb mouth. You dont even notice its all dribbling out the other side of your mouth. Even worse if you are attempting this in a public place!

Anonymous said...

Oh jeezus...I HATE the dentist.

I am supposed to make an appointment to get something fixed, but I keep avoiding it.

Steve~

phishez said...

Mist - lets play a game called 'I win'

Ces - I'm such a sook when it comes to my teeth. I went straight home and took drugs.

Steve - get it done dude. You don't want to end up looking like a jack-o-lantern from a stupid phobia. Not dissin you or anything there. I have the same damn thing.