Friday, July 21, 2006

22

Dear 22

As our time together draws to a close, I cannot help but feel more than a little relieved. It seems your sole aim has been to steal the last of my innocence, lay my soul out for all to see, and given them all manner of salt and vinegar to rub into every wound they saw. I’m not a chip dammit!

I came to you fresh faced. Ready to start a new part of my life. You were the bringer of many new experiences. Which I would have been better off without. I’ve been beaten, abused, violated, devalued, and generally made to feel less than scum. I've had friends and family die. I've been ignored and displaced and hurt.

It seems to me that there could have been a less brutal way for you to do this. I’d love to forget you. But I have too many wounds on my soul to walk away from you without permanent scarring. I cannot comprehend how much you have absolutely ruined any potential my life has previously held.

Where you have been the threshold of life for many others, you seem to have taken some sick pleasure in withholding that from me. Every other year has allowed, and even encouraged, that feeling for me. Yet for you to flourish you have taken that from me.

It is time for me to pass you on to the next sucker. 23 is standing nigh, with welcoming arms. Hopefully he is gentler than you. Hopefully he knows the new scars I will carry.

Hopefully 23 cares.

Go fuck yourself 22.

5 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, what a raw post.
I hope 22 goes and impales himself on a sharp object.
I think you had a lucky escape.

phishez said...

Its not quite over yet. Still 6 days to go...

Dead man walking said...

22 was rough on me also. I feel for you. 23, on the other hand has the value of experience on it's side now. 23 knows what 22 did to you and is really pissed off about it. 23 will be the warm blanket and hot cocoa where 22 was the sandpaper and sunburn. Happy 23.

phishez said...

Neil - thanks. If hes any more cruel than 22, then 24 will certainly miss out on my compnay.

Shane - a warm blanket and hot cocoa. Just what I need right now! Thanks.

Jana_no1 said...

I care, even if 23 doesn't!