Thursday, July 20, 2006

Its just a story

When I was 17, I drank some very good beer. No, not really. I didn't start drinking beer until uni.

When I was 17 I shaved my head to raise money for cancer research. It was a very worthwhile experience. Partly because AFTER I shaved my long (LONG) golden wavy locks, I had the freedom to do anything I wanted with my hair. And have done so repeatedly. Pink, blue, green, purple, black, patterns and mixes of these. Spikes, twists, curls, hair bands, and of course, the 'fuzzy still growing back, too short to do anything with, but long enough to get a flat patch where my head sits on the pillow at night'. I think the most out there look was definitely the two inches of permenant black, with about an inch of yellow blonde as the 'regrowth'.

But I'd have to say the most rewarding part of the whole experince came as a complete, unexpected surprise. Where I had planned everything so perfectly, unexpected was a complete shock.

Just after I'd faced the razor I was elated. I had camera crews and several journalists covering the event. Its not every day that you see someone young making an effort to change the world. I didnt see them, or the crowd. All I could see was my friends. There was one guy who stood out though. I had met him earlier that day. Dad was firing up the barbie and he called me over and introduced this man to me. He had come over from the major town in the area, to help out with the day. He was a jeweller and had bought over some trinkets (earrings, bracelets and necklaces) for the tin rattlers to distribute as they saw fit. And he told me that his son was diagnosed with leukemia three days beforehand. From memory he was five or six. My heart went out to him. He had been shattered. And he told me how he had seen the article published in the newspaper, reminding readers that there was a mojr fundraising event culminating in my little town. And it gave him hope.

As a token of his appreciation he presented me with a gold watch afterwards. I had no idea that it was coming. I certainly did not expect a physical reward for my efforts. The buzz that I received was amazing. But like all buzzes it eventually died. I still have that watch. It needs a new battery. Of all the watches I have had, this one I refuse to discard, Even if it was to never work again. This beautifully made piece of metal came with a message. I made a real difference to somebody, at some stage of my life. If I don't do anything more with my life, I will die happy knowing just that. And when my life seems at a stalemate, I will remember that. I DO make a difference to the world.

To this day, every time I think of that event, I think of him. And I hope, and pray, that his son is ok.

3 comments:

The Mutant said...

I remeber that day - obviously not from the same perspective as you of course, but I remeber that I'd never felt so proud of one of my friends before... You really were so selfless and I couldn't have been prouder of you!

Plus you looked dead sexy with a shaved head!

phishez said...

Kez. Aww. I'm blushing.

Clue - I think its more an attitude thing than anything else. If you dont give a damn, then you can pull it off.

Greyhound Girl said...

What an amazing thing you did...so brave and completely selfless. I admire you.